Little Fires Can Cause Big Smoke Odors In Your Bel Air Home
Bel Air Fire Place Causes Little Fire Damage And Big Smoke Odors
A crackling fire can set the mood, make a room feel cozy, and fire damage is probably the furthermost from your mind. Sometimes mistakes happen when inexperienced homeowners light fires for the first time.
SERVPRO responded to a call from a homeowner in Bel Air regarding little actual fire damage throughout a living room and a lot of smoke and soot in the living room. The homeowner recently purchased the home and used the fireplace with the damper closed. He had also used an accelerant to get the fire going assuming an indoor fireplace log needed assistance to light much like a charcoal grill. The result was a large amount of smoke filling the room until he put out the fire using a home fire extinguisher and a bucket of sand.
He contacted SERVPRO, and our technicians arrived a short time later. We moved the upholstered furnishings and area rug out of the room to our local facility for cleaning and deodorization to remove the strong smoke smell each item retained.
Then we used both wet and dry sponges for cleaning away the smoke residue on the brickwork and wall around the fireplace and worked on picking up the extinguisher powder, sand and visible soot with our handheld vacuums fitted with HEPA filtration. We then deployed air scrubbers also with HEPA filtration to remove airborne particles that caused odor and were smaller than the human eye can see.
Our SERVPRO technicians undergo a rigorous continuing education in the restoration sciences and hold several certifications, including Odor Control Technician (OCT). We have both the professional equipment and expertise to neutralize any level of smoke odor in a home. Because a small, detectable smoke odor prevailed after the deep cleaning, we used thermal fogging to eradicate the remaining smell that remained. Leaving the room without a trace of the homeowners' fireplace use learning curve. Afterward, we walked the homeowner through the steps for safely using his fireplace in the future to avoid this scenario.
SERVPRO of Bel Air / West Hollywood is ready 24/7 to tackle any level of fire damage to your home. Call us at (310) 572-6132, and our certified technicians arrive in hours to make your fire loss, “Like it never even happened.”
Click here for more about Bel Air.