Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Don'ts
Fire damage can wreak havoc on a home or your business, and usually it happens out of nowhere. When the unfortunate event of a fire happens, our team at SERVPRO of Bel Air/West Hollywood is here to assist you 24/7 with fire restoration and cleanup.
At SERVPRO of Bel Air/West Hollywood, we pride ourselves in being a responsive partner in remediation and restoration. While you do wait for our emergency services to arrive, there are a few steps you can take to get started. Please remember to make safety your first priority.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (310) 572-6132
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.